Monday, August 5, 2019
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
U.S. Bancorp Tower Conference Rooms
111 SW 5th Avenue, Portland, OR
Want a faster website? How about a site so fast it can load virtually instantaneously? Of course, you do. And, if you don’t need another reason, speed is a ranking factor in search results. Not to mention the various studies showing that better performance directly leads to better conversions because users are getting a better experience.
On August 5th we are welcoming Weston Ruter and Alberto Medina who will talk about AMP, a web components library designed to make high web performance achievable by everyone, and demonstrate how to implement AMP on a WordPress site. Just as WordPress is an open source publishing platform that democratizes publishing, AMP is also an open source project which democratizes website performance. AMP implements a myriad performance best practices so that you don’t have to. To get an overview of AMP, see , and for the official AMP WordPress plugin, see .
Weston and Alberto are members of the Content Experience team at Google, where they work on projects and technologies aimed at ensuring content on the web is awesome, from both creation as well as consumption standpoints. Given that it powers a third of the web, WordPress is the focus of their team’s efforts. In addition to AMP, they also work on bringing Progressive Web Apps (PWA) to WordPress. Weston has been a long-time WordPress core contributor, including co-leading the WordPress 4.9 release with work on the Customizer.
- 6:00 – 6:15: Introductions. What you do, are you looking to hire, are you looking for work?
- 6:15 – 6:45: Speaker and topic.
- 6:45 – 7:00: Questions and answers on the topic.
- 7:00 – 8:00: Get help with WordPress. Bring your laptop for this part. There’s a wide range of experience levels, and we’re all here to help each other.
- 8:00: Soft close. You may hang out a bit longer to talk or finish up a project, but the official Meetup will end.
- 8:30: Socialize at Bailey’s Taproom (213 SW Broadway). Let us know if you’re interested in joining!
How to find us:
We’ll be in the Training Room on the ground floor. From the lobby, go to the right of the elevators and through the glass doors.
Thanks to Digital Trends for providing the venue!
Please RSVP on Meetup so we know how many people to expect. We hope to see you there!